The Six Pillars of International Men’s Day
The six key pillars of International Men’s Day are set out below and each year a theme is chosen that is used to express these six pillars. In 2013, this is Keeping Men and Boys Safe.
(1) To promote positive male role models; not just movie stars and sports men but everyday, working class men who are living decent, honest lives.
(2) To celebrate men’s positive contributions; to society, community, family, marriage, child care, and to the environment
(3) To focus on men’s health and wellbeing; social, emotional, physical and spiritual.
(4) To highlight discrimination against males; in areas of social services, social attitudes and expectations, and law
(5) To improve gender relations and promote gender equality.
(6) To create a safer, better world; where people can be safe and grow to reach their full potential.