International Men’s Day around the Globe
International Men’s Day places its focus on that which unites humanity – giving everyone who wants to celebrate International Men’s Day the opportunity to help work towards shared objectives which are applied equally to men and boys irrespective of their age, ability, social background, ethnicity, sexuality, gender identity, religious belief and relationship status.
Those objectives are:
- To promote male role models
- To celebrate the contribution that men make
- To focus on men’s health and wellbeing
- To highlight discrimination against men the inequalities that men and boys face
- To improve gender relations and promote gender equality
- To create a safer world for everyone
The six key pillars of International Men’s Day are set out below and each year a theme is chosen that is used to express these six pillars. In 2017, this is Keeping Men and Boys Safe.
(1) To promote positive male role models; not just movie stars and sports men but everyday, working class men who are living decent, honest lives.
(2) To celebrate men’s positive contributions; to society, community, family, marriage, child care, and to the environment
(3) To focus on men’s health and wellbeing; social, emotional, physical and spiritual.
(4) To highlight discrimination against males; in areas of social services, social attitudes and expectations, and law
(5) To improve gender relations and promote gender equality.
(6) To create a safer, better world; where people can be safe and grow to reach their full potential.