How to mark IMD in 2019
This year International Men’s Day, which is held on Tuesday 19th November 2019.
It provides a fantastic opportunity for you to:
- Highlight some serious issues effecting men and boys and their wellbeing
- Make a difference to men and boys’ lives
- Celebrate Britain’s men and boys in all their diversity
- Have some serious fun
People and organisations do not have to stick to holding an event or celebration on 19 November if they want to mark the day.
In the UK, the focus remains on how we can make a difference to men and boys, and, how we can give men and boys better life chances by addressing some of the issues that affect Men and Boys such as:
- The high male suicide rate
- The challenges faced by boys and men at all stages of education including attainment
- Men’s health, shorter life expectancy and workplace deaths
- The challenges faced by the most marginalised men and boys in society (for instance, homeless men, boys in care and the high rate of male deaths in custody)
- Male victims of violence, including sexual violence
- The challenges faced by men as parents, particularly new fathers and separated fathers
- Male victims and survivors of sexual abuse, rape, sexual exploitation, domestic abuse, forced marriage, honour-based crime, stalking and slavery
- The negative portrayal of men, boys and fathers
At a local level, the areas, issues and activities people, charities, employers and organisations choose to mark International Men’s Day is entirely up to them. To help with ideas many people looked at what others were doing in previous years (click on the events page and go to ‘previous events’ or look here 2018, 2017, 2016 , in 2015) and for general ideas, please see here and here.
We have suggested some men and boys’ charities you could support.
Whatever your age, background or beliefs…….
Whatever your race, ability or sexuality
Whether you male, female or none of the above……..
International Men’s Day is your day to enjoy however you want to enjoy it.
You can hold whatever event or celebration* you like to “Make a Difference to Men and Boys”
YOU CAN HAVE SOME SERIOUS FUN
- By wearing a stick-on moustache for no good reason all day long
- By having an International Men’s Day party
- Fundraising for a men and boys charity
- By doing something daft – with or without a moustache – to raise money for a local charity that supports men and boys
YOU CAN HIGHLIGHT SOME SERIOUS ISSUES AFFECTING MEN AND BOYS AND THEIR WELLBEING
- By organising an International Men’s Day event in your area or at an organisation you are involved (including work)
- By using the day to raise awareness of issues facing men and boys
- By taking action to support an existing organisations, campaigns or projects
YOU CAN CELEBRATE MEN AND BOYS IN ALL THEIR HAIRY DIVERSITY
- By organising a “Tash Dash” fun run to raise money or local organisations working with men and boys
- By voting “World’s Greatest Man” event in your workplace, club or community
- By sending an International Men’s Day card to the important men in your life who you want to acknowledge – a relative, friend, neighbour, colleague, stranger or partner
- By taking steps to forgive a man who you haven’t forgiven for something
See how other organisations in the UK celebrated International Men’s Day in previous years.
It doesn’t matter if you’re an individual sending a card to man in your life you want to say ‘Thank You’ to, a small group having of men sharing a few beers or a big group of people putting on a great fundraising event, whatever you do this International Men’s Day, make sure you enjoy it.
Please feel free to use the UK IMD logo (below) for all of your publicity material.
It’s your day to celebrate in the way you want to celebrate it.